SEARCH THE BLOG

Mar 2, 2018

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies

We just experienced a warm spell this past week, but starting tonight we're in for another round of winter with up to 10 cm of snow falling in a 12 hour period. Seems like the perfect time to hunker down under a cozy blanket with cookies and milk and your favourite book. And I have just the recipe for you.

chewy chocolate chip cookies

I've never been a great cookie baker.  They're usually "okay", but they always seem to be too bread-y and don't always stay soft and chewy after they've cooled. I think I've finally got the sugar/butter/flour ratios correct now though. I've made two batches of these new cookies on different days and they both turned out amazing.

Ingredients

2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tbs vanilla extract
1 egg
1/2 to 1 cup chocolate chips
Optional - butterscotch chips, trail mix, sea salt


Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

In a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt. I use a whisk to remove lumps as I don't have a sifter. Sifted or whisked flour combines more evenly into your mixture.

In a medium bowl, stir together the melted butter, brown sugar, white sugar until smooth and creamy. Mix in the vanilla and egg. Slowly add in the dry ingredients, taking care not to over-mix.

Stir in the chocolate chips. I don't like too much chocolate in my cookies (is there such a thing?) so I went light on the chocolate chips - maybe 1/4 cup - added 1/8 cup of butterscotch chips, and a handful or two of trail mix (fruit & nuts). This recipe has a lot of sugar in it and I think cutting back on the chips helps to balance it.

chewy chocolate chip cookies

Using a teaspoon, drop balls of cookie dough onto a greased or parchment-lined cookie sheet. Right before baking I sprinkled each cookie with a few flakes of sea salt. I also looked up why salt tastes so good on cookies. Apparently salt increases the body's ability to taste sweetness. Who knew?

Bake for 8 minutes or until just slightly underdone. Cookies will puff up a bit in the oven but will flatten out once they cool.

This recipe makes 5 dozen 2-1/2 inch diameter cookies.

chewy chocolate chip cookies
chewy chocolate chip cookies
chewy chocolate chip cookies


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...